Monday 14 September 2020

Ripples






I think we can all agree that 2020 has not been the best year for most of us.  The reasons are too many list. Though it is only September, the worst thing that I have faced this year is the death and funeral of my Dad.  I just cannot imagine a world without my Dad in it; but maybe I don’t have to.

I have known the idea of ripples for a long time.  I have been telling my kids about changing the World for a long time; maybe not the whole World, but their little corner of it.  And they have succeeded.  They may not always see it, but they do, everyday.  

I could not help but take note of my Father’s ripples this weekend.  Although, the numbers for the his funeral were limited because of covid 19 restrictions, it was obvious that he touched many lives, though he probably didn’t noticed it.  Towards the end of his life, my Dad was physically not at his best, but his mind and and wisdom was still clear.  He had a hard time believing that his very presence in a room could bring such joy and comfort.  My children always looked forward to seeing their Poppa.  They listened to his stories, of which he had many.  They were amazed by his knowledge and absorbed his wisdom like an arid sponge.  

His life did not start off easily, and he would admit that he made his share of mistakes.  He did have a spiritual awakening that gave him the courage to learn from those mistakes, defeat his demons, and made sure that those he loved knew it.  He was not perfect, but he always made sure he was a better man than he was yesterday.  By doing this, he left an abundance of good ripples. 

It was not only his immediate family that are riding his wave and in turn creating ripples of their own.  Grandchildren, nieces and nephews, students, and friends have gone on to touch the lives of those around them and continue my Dad’s legacy of love. 

Maybe it is my naïvety that’s makes me believe that everyone wants to leave behind a better world than when we arrived.  I do my best and I know my Dad succeeded.  





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.