Thursday 24 February 2022

Ignored History



So February is Black History Month. I am aware that there are differing opinions about the fact that there is a month dedicated to history of a specific people. What bothers me most is that one is necessary. 
At some point in time, I hope that a Black History Month is not necessary, however I do believe we need it now. It is sad but true. 
I look back on all I learnt in history in school and I do not remember being taught anything about Black people in Canada or the United States. There was not even a unit dedicated to the many significant events surrounding Black People, or Aboriginal Peoples or women for that matter. This is a disgrace to our education system, and further evidence that much of the history we learn was written by white men. 
This is the reason that a focus on ignored history is absolutely necessary. 
Certainly, we know about Sir John A. MacDonald, Dr. Banting, Tommy Douglas.  We can all probably recite some basic facts about all these men. But what do we know about the women, the Aboriginals and the Black history makers. I admit, I had to go looking for these significant history makers. 
Do you know who Viola Desmond was and what she did?   Do you know who Agnes Macphail was and what she did? Do you know who Nahnebahwequay and what she did. What about Lincoln Alexander, or Mifflar Wistar Gibbs, Louis Riel, Tecumseh, and Laura Secord (not the chocolate company)?
There are so many more to name but they have been forgotten or even worse, ignored. 
I challenge you to discover the richness of Canadian History that has been disregarded by our present education system. Dust off the books in the library, light up the internet and revel in the accomplishment of the unknown heroes and heroines of Canada. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.