Saturday 7 January 2023

Happy New Year!??



Since I have been an adult, I have not been a great fan of the whole New Year Hype. I find it a highly over rated paired with high pressure to have fun. I understand that it is a chance at renewal and letting go of the past, but can’t that be done everyday?
I am very happy to see 2022 end. This was a very tough year. Although it started out fine, in June all Hell broke loose. Our car broke down. We purchased a new car but after only 5 days an accident totalled it. There was the ensuing insurance chaos, including injuries. We both battled Covid. There a significant loss of income. And finally, weather conditions kept us from our original plans for Christmas. I felt like I was being punished for something, even though my brain knew differently. 
I had to start anew everyday. I could not carry the anxiety and anger and frustration of the yesterday into the today. Doing so would overwhelm and make it impossible for me to tackle the tasks to be done. And there were a lot. 
Letting go of yesterday, with all its pain and joy is a must, if I am ever to move on and grow. One day at a time is a good strategy for survival. I have had to realize that the challenges were not punishment, but opportunities to learn. If I dwelled on the lessons of yesterday, I could not take on the new ones of todays. 
Many people only make a concerted effort to do this in a new year.  I do not understand. Everyday is a New Year’s Day. It is a new beginning to learn and grow; a chance to be reborn. If you’re not busy being born, you’re busy dying. 
I am not one to put much credit to New Year’s Resolutions. Why only then. A choice to change can happen every morning, not just on January First. 
I decided a long time ago to let go of the hype of New Year’s Eve. Celebrating a new year is good. I chose to spend the evening with close family and friends. Often, we play various board games and share party snacks and drinks. I do not need champagne, someone to kiss at midnight, although today I do have someone special. 
I chose to start a new year every day. As was told to me during my labour with my son, the last contraction is done. You don’t have to worry about it any more. The same can be said for everyday. Yesterday’s mistakes and successes, pain and joy have come to pass not to stay. Enjoy them in the moment; and await those of today. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.