Tuesday 8 March 2022

What is a Good Education



This is probably not the most interesting topic, nonetheless it is the most important. I was educated in the Separate School System in Northern Ontario.I attended JK to Grade 8 in French and Grade 9 to 13 in English. I also attended York University and graduated with a HBA degree in Sociology and a Minor in Psychology. I am not sharing this information to brag but to explain my background and possible reasons for this post. 
All of this book learning was great and I think it was important and has definitely contributed my successes. However, I certainly don’t believe that it is the end all and be all of education. In fact, the most important lesson I ever learned was at my family dinner table, every night. As I grew up, the problems of the world were tabled, discussed and solve at every evening. I learned to think and I learned to question. 
I am grateful for this. It saved me from blind obedience. It gave me compassion for others in dire situations. It opened my mind to the opinions of others. It made me teachable from everyone and anyone I met. 
I became aware that any social or historical event is never black or white; right or wrong. I cannot jump to a conclusion without proper investigation. Most importantly, if I have an opinion, I damn well better be able to back it up. 
I am presently working on the other side of the desk so to speak. I am teaching at the Oxford Learning Centre in Bradford Ontario. Its program centres around asking questions and knowing the why of any topic. It motivates the brain to retain information because it is always is connected to what you already know. 
It has become obvious to me that this type of learning and questioning is not something that most students know. I am not blaming teachers or parents or any educational professionals. I am sure I am not the only individual who has made this observation. The question is what to do about it. 
Part of my responsibility as a parent is to prepare my children for the world. This includes the good and the bad. If they are to be contributing members of society they must know to question everything they hear or read. What is being said? Why is it being said? By whom is being said? And what interest does “the whom” have in what is being said?  By asking these questions, my children are able to make well educated decisions in their lives and in the process change the world. Every child should be given that chance. They are all our future. 
I am not putting the responsibility of this type of learning on any one person or institution. A lot can be said for the idea that it takes a village to raise a child. I believe in a united team of schools, parents, and others to instil the skill of thinking in our youth. This is the most important skill that anyone can learn. It opens them up to endless knowledge. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. Open dialogue. We were never allowed to discuss anything. Especially at the dinner table.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.