Saturday 26 March 2022

What’s in a Name?



I have recently seen an advertisement on television from Mastercard informing us that they have a new card called True Name. For some of us, this may seem insignificant. All our identification bears our name. What’s the big deal?  For some it is monumental. 
I have to admit that I did not know that having a card in my wallet not bearing my name was even a thing. But I am not part of the LBGTQ+ community. Some times I’m unaware of issues that affect others. I don’t believe that is intentional, as I don’t think it is for most. In fact, I am naïve enough to take for granted that people, companies and government would be timely in adapting to the needs of ALL people. I know. It’s not only naïve but perhaps even delusional. 
The struggles of those who identify as any marginalized group are real, whether I, or anyone, understand them or not. I do my best to understand, empathize and support them in any way I can. But, since I don’t live their life, there will be struggles that I don’t immediately see. This is the case here. 
When a person identifies themselves as a gender other than their physical state at birth, I can only imagine the turmoil in which they live. This is not as simple as getting a new hair cut or colour to match what you feel. Your very physical being does not match who you really are. 
After this, there must be fear; fear of family reaction, fear of school, and fear of how will your friends react. What about transition?
Wouldn’t it be great if they could look forward to love, support and acceptance?  Honestly, I don’t know why this is not the case. I guess it’s my delusions and naivety rearing their beautiful heads again. 
Perhaps it’s fear that causes some people to react the way they do. I’m not a huge Stars Wars fan, but Yoda says some pretty great things. One of which is: “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”  Fear of the unknown is natural. But instead of submitting to that fear, seek knowledge.  It’s not as hard as you may think. There is information all around you, just look or ask. You will be enlightened and perhaps find compassion and understanding. This makes fear and judgement impossible. 
So I come back the the ad by Mastercard. I commend and congratulate them for this step. Acknowledging our differences and acting accordingly is brave in the corporate world. I am sure there will be backlash. And if you listen to the ad, you will learn that the LBGQ+ community want what we all want and need. It is a great spiritual need to be loved and belong. I see no reason why this basic need is not freely given. I hope that this goes beyond ground breaking. I want it to be something that will go without saying. 

2 comments:

k.totten said...

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing your beautiful soul ❤🧡💛💚💙💜🤎🖤

Stephanie Maidens said...

Thanks for the support. I like it when the comments are left here.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.