Monday 1 November 2021


Mitch Albom wrote a book published in 2003 titled The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

I don't think I am ready to consider who would greet me as I cross through the proverbial pearly gates.  A question often asked at daring parties and during an interview by Barbara Walters, (Not really sure about the Barbara Walters thing, but it sounds good) "What 5 people would you invite to dinner?" is one I think I can tackle. At least I will try. 

I am very eclectic person; in my taste in music, art and people. Therefore logic dictates that my guests would follow this unique custom.  I have to admit it was very difficult for me to keep it to just 5, but anymore would limit the titillating, provocative conversation. Even at my family dinner table, which included my Mom and Dad, my brothers and myself, not everyone had a chance to speak. In fact, between my eldest brother and my Dad, the rest of us pretty much were kept silent.  

Anyway, enough about me. The only rule I had when making this list was that they had to be living or dead, and not fictional; so no Sherlock Holmes or Harry Potter.  Some of those on my list may seem odd and perhaps offensive. It is not my intension to offend anyone, but many of these people evoke a high level of curiosity.  I hope I can explain why this is without angering any readers.

Let's get started, 

Jesus, Son of Joseph.  I am not talking about the Son of God; that is another post.There are noted accepted historic facts about Jesus.  He was born in Bethlehem around 6-4 BCE and was crucified by the Romans, occupying Palestine of the time, in Jerusalem, around 30 CE.  He was also know as Jesus of Nazareth.  Very little is known about his youth but at some point he became an itinerant preacher. He had a very short public life.  During that time, he propose some pretty radical ideas: treating others as one would want to be treated, refrain from judging others, until you are prepared to be judge.  He associated himself with tax collectors, the "unclean" and the town prostitute.  Yes, some of these have been gleaned from The Bible, which I admittedly refer to as a book of Faith, not fact.  However, this is a man that along with his progressive teachings, of whom we speak 2000 years after his death.  Whatever you believe Jesus to be; prophet, Son of God, or just a man, he definitely had a major influence on people, politics and the planet.  (Sanders, E.P. and Pelikan, Jaroslav Jan. "Jesus". Encyclopedia Britannica, 16 Jun. 2021, https://www.britannica.com/biography/Jesus. Accessed 1 November 2021.)

Adolph Hitler.  Now, this may take some people by surprise, but hear me out. I don't think that he was a good man; in fact I think he ranks in the top 10 most evil people ever.  However, if you consider his past before his time as Führer of Germany, the fact that he was able to accomplish all that he did is astonishing.  I am sure a deep psychological examination of Hitler may reveal some of the reasons for his anti semitism, aryan ideology and his desire to rule the world.  I do not consider myself qualified to do so.  I am sure that Hitler was at least somewhat aware of his Jewish heritage, and there is evidence of North African ancestry, his awareness of this is unlikely.  The political climate of Germany post WWI was desperate for a hero.  The country was being held responsible for the financial cost of the conflict and very strict restrictions had be instituted on any military development. (See the Treaty of Versailles for more details). The fact is than a short, dark haired, dark eyed, part Jewish Austrian convinced a large population of Germany that they belonged to a superior Aryan race, characterized by tall, blond haired, blue eyed people.  This, to me, is fascinating. He must have had a strong personality and able to use it very well to influence the views of many people.  (Britannica, The Editors of Encyclopaedia. "Adolf Hitler summary". Encyclopedia Britannica, 29 Apr. 2021, https://www.britannica.com/summary/Adolf-Hitler. Accessed 1 November 2021.) (Jenn Cohen. https://www.history.com/news/study-suggests-adolf-hitler-had-jewish-and-african-ancestors)

Sean-Patrick Maidens.  This choice has a far more personal reason than any other on this list.  Sean-Patrick was my eldest brother.  Aside from my parents, he had the most effect on the person I am today.  There was a time when all I wanted to be was just like him.  I wanted to talk like him, walk like him and I believed anything he said as the gospel truth.  He was as close to a superhero I could have at 15 years old.  Then, he died by his own hand.  All of sudden, he was incredibly human. After a lot of anger and sadness and grieving I have come to terms with his life and his death.  There are still days when I am angry and sad.  And regardless of how he died, what he thought and believed were, in my opinion good things.  He was intelligent, idealistic and very kind.  He befriended people based on their character.  He was not perfect.  He had demons and I guess he was not able to tame them all.  He could be prideful and impatient.  All that being said, what I long to hear more than anything is that he was and is proud of me, wherever he may be.  

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  This is a man who did everything he could to peacefully change his world and the world of many others. He made people stand up and take notice of people living in deplorable conditions, not just physically but emotionally and psychologically.  There were people, be it out of naivety or conscious ignorance, were unaware of the circumstances of Black people in the United States.  Although many in the Northern US thought it was only a Southern issue, when MLK presented himself in Chicago, the anger and hatred of the White population against the Blacks in the North was as palpable as in Mississippi and Alabama.  There may not have been lynchings, but the Black person needed to know their place and respect it.  I can't imagine what it would be like to wake up every morning having the weight of the hopes of the Black population on your shoulders, all while dealing with FBI investigations, and death threats from among others the KKK.  What kind of bravery he must have had.  I am sure that there were times of great despair in his life but through the support of Coretta, and his inner circle he was able to continue to walk with dignity.  And considering he is one of few American Born person to have a Holiday named for him, he is still changing the World. (https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/mlk-topic/martin-luther-king-jr-threatsattacks-against) (https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/encyclopedia/federal-bureau-investigation-fbi)

Anita V. Maidens (nee Svensson)  This is my Mom.  She is the strongest woman I have ever known and ever expect to know.  I know she would not like it if I gave all the sorted details of her life but I will share that she took on life's adventures with bravery and grace.  She experienced moments of happiness and moments of sorrow.  I don't know how she did it but she came out the other end not so jaded that she shows extensive cynicism towards the world or people.  In fact in many of our conversations, we ask why people can't just get along.  I have been told by many that I am a good Mom.  I give 100% credit for this to my Mom.  She taught me what unconditional love truly is.  She was the one who would tell my brothers and me that she may not always like what we do, but she will always love us.  In fact, I have said this to my own children.  I know many ladies who have had or still have complicated or difficult relationships with their mothers.  I honestly cannot understand this.  My Mom and I have always been close and have talked a lot about things I know other adult women would never even consider bringing up to their mothers.  I am grateful for My Mom.  I am so blessed to have such role model and I hope I can be half the Lady she is.

As I look back on this list, it seems so inadequate.  There are so many more people I would love to spend time discussing Life the Universe and Everything.  Scientists, philosophers, artists, men and women from whom I could learn so much.  I guess this means I will have to have a few more dinner parties. 

Please comment and tell me who your Five or more would be.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.